Ready. Set. WRITE! Update 2

RSWgoldpolaroid

Week three, baby! (woohoo!)

How I did on last week’s goal(s).

Hahahaha… riight. In typical Patrice fashion I started off doing as I said I would: working on SSMS & revising Alex, but of course I got distracted.

What did I do?

Um. I started revising THE DAUPHINE FILES, LOL. Call it writer’s intuition. I knew it wasn’t finished. And let me say this, the new version is going to kick ass. (hehe) It’s already much better. I’m not revising the entire MS just the first five chapters, which are the most important ones, especially in terms of an agent requesting pages.

I did read a book (or reread one) POINTE by Brandy Colbert (it was even more memorable & beautiful & heartbreaking than the first time). I started reading SHATTER ME by Taheri Mafi. WOW. That woman knows how to write. I actually didn’t think I’d like the series because of the heavy romantic element I heard it had, but it’s great!

My goal(s) for this week.

• finish revising THE DAUPHINE FILES & send to CPs for review
  • read 2 books

A favorite line from my project OR a word/phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised.

“Yeah,” I sigh. “Everything’s fine.” If you ignore the fact that the last time I heard of someone jumping over that bridge it was my mother, on the last day of school. I take one more look at wind-whipped reporter and the bridge behind her before following Chelsea outside. It’s probably nothing. Just a coincidence and me not wanting to believe that Mom chose to end her life and leave me here without the only person who understood, loving a place and wanting to spend your life somewhere can be mutually exclusive.

The biggest challenge I faced this week.

Figuring out my priorities. I have three active projects and as much as I want to work on all three I had to have a real talk with myself and pick one. I’m happier because of my decision.

Something I love about my WiP.

THE DAUPHINE FILES is the MS I want to be my debut novel. I’ve said this before but I’ve never meant it as much and it’s never been that realistic of a statement before. There’s something about this world, these characters that I click with like I haven’t with anything else. I think of promotion ideas in my spare time just for fun, LOL. I love this MS & the world I’ve created.

Happy writing! How was your week?

Whimsically Yours,

PnC

16 comments

1. Emma Adams (@ELAdams12) says:

It can be tricky to pick a project if you have several on the go. I’ve been struggling with that a bit recently! Glad to hear you’re confident in your MS! I feel that way about my MG fantasy – it’s the book that I hope will finally get me an agent. :)

• Patrice says:

I hope it does land you an agent, Emma! Querying can be so nerve-wracking, but I think your MG MS will definitely stand out :)

2. Alison Miller says:

Sounds like you know where your heart is and you just have to go with it! I would love for my last story to be my debut – which is why I am going back to it again and again if necessary.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

• Patrice says:

I hope your last story does become your debut! I get you about going back to it until you feel it’s ready.

3. Erin Funk says:

Wow, I can’t believe you have three projects on the go! I’m having a hard enough time overlapping the last of my revisions for one book and outlining the next one in the same series simultaneously. Great excerpt! I liked the image of the “wind-whipped reporter.” Good luck with your revisions this week!

4. crystalschubert says:

I looooved SHATTER ME. The writing is so gorgeous and bold. It really knocked my socks off when I picked it up :)

And I’m glad you’ve decided which WIP to dedicate your time to. I have a bunch of projects brewing, too, and it’s so hard to choose one sometimes. You just gotta pick one and stick it out, I guess! Good luck on your revision work this week!

• Patrice says:

Yes, covers are the best! I have no artistic ability so I stick to creating a pin board, which is like my HUGE cover & book inspiration. So glad you loved POINTE :)

5. Jaime Morrow says:

Picking a project to work on is so tough when you’ve got great options, isn’t it? Awesome that you were able to nail it down to one project. Good luck with your revision! :D

6. karyne norton says:

Goals are nice, but don’t go crazy trying to meet a goal if your heart isn’t in it. I’m glad you went for the project that spoke to you. As long as you’re making progress on something, you’re good! That’s what this is all about! Have a great week!